Phases of the Moon in Order
And Their Meanings & Magic
- New Moon: Marks the beginning and end of a phase cycle. This is when the moon is completely black. A time for beginnings and renewals. Plant the seeds now for what you want to manifest and the goals you want to achieve. Be clear in your intentions. This phase is good for rejuvenation, banishment, new projects, soul searching, seclusion and decision making among other things.
- Waxing Crescent: Light hits the very right side while the rest of the moon remains black. Practice creativity. Write down, set or communicate plans of actions, ideas that come to you, ways you can begin to take inspired action. The waxing moon in general is great for growth, attraction, healing, creation, inspiration, luck, friendship, courage, power, production and motivation.
- First Quarter: Only the right side is lit while left is still veiled in darkness. Keep moving forward and begin to put your plans and ideas into action. This time signifies strength, determination, concentration and commitment.
- Waxing Gibbous: Nearly all of the moon is bright while a small portion of the left is still yet to be full. This time represents the cultivation of your plans and ideas. Plan for manifestation through continued action, creativity, intention and commitment.
- Full Moon: The whole moon is completely illuminated. This is the time to push ahead the intentions you made during the new moon. Amplify energy and prepare for transformation and the harvest of your intentions.
- Waning Gibbous: Opposite of waxing. The moon begins to lose light. Darkness slightly takes over a small part of the right. This is the time of dissemination. Release and let go of what does not serve you. Absorb all revelations brought during the full moon and practice gratitude.
- Third Quarter: Opposite of the first quarter. The left part is lit and the right is black. Allow the transformation of your accomplishments to fully emerge with grace. Continue to let go of what doesn’t serve you.
- Waning Crescent: A small side of the left is lit while most of the right is dark. The Balsamic Phase. Take time for rest, reflect, contemplate and solidify your transformation. This is a time for final releasing and purging. Prepare for new seeds to be planted soon.
- New Moon: The whole moon is dark and the cycle completes.